In an effort to streamline the procedures of the Sheriff’s Office, Sheriff Adkinson sent personnel to Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office to observe and then receive training on the Lean Process. The benefits of the Lean Process create an ongoing effort to continually improve processes, eliminate waste, align goals, listen and empower employees and involve everyone. A committee comprised of employees was formed in March of 2013 and the goal was to reduce the time required to complete the hiring process while providing flexibility and a fast track for potential employees. Several recommendations consisted of the following:
Implement an Electronic Application and Signature Pad
- Deploy kiosks at the north and south end
- Review interview questions
- Approve general orders and policies that reflect the new hiring process
- Implement Executive Selection Committee
- Eliminate all forms identified as unnecessary
On June 1, the Sheriff’s Office implemented all the recommendations above. All applicants can now fill out forms electronically and can submit required documents online. More processes will be reviewed using the Lean concept in the future.