Walton County Extreme Weather Update
Due to the current winter storm, the following conditions exist:
1. State Road 83 (U.S. 331), Choctawhatchee Bay Bridge/Clyde B. Wells Bridge closed to all traffic.
2. All roads from I-10 to the Alabama state line are closed. Only people who have emergencies will be allowed to travel.
3. Travel has been suspended north of I-10.
4. FHP has closed I-10 from mile marker 112 to Pensacola.
Walton County Public Works crews and DOT crews will continue to monitor the roads and will begin work on clearing and opening roads when possible.
All travel should be suspended until conditions improve. Only emergency vehicles should be on the road. Should you have an emergency, please call 911.
Forecast Weather for Next 12 hours- Defuniak Springs
• The National Weather Service:
• Today A chance of snow and sleet, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 32. Wind chill values as low as 14. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
• A WINTER STORM WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE REGION TODAY WITH AREAS OF FREEZING RAIN SPREADING INTO THE FL BIG BEND IN SOUTH CNTL GA LATER THIS MORNING. FURTHER BACK TO THE WEST ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN AL.SOUTHWESTERN GA & THE FL PANHANDLE.SNOW WILL MIX WITH SLEET THROUGH THE MORNING HRS BEFORE CHANGING TO & THEN ENDING AS LIGHT SNOW THIS AFTERNOON.
• IT WILL TAKE UNTIL LATER THIS EVENING BEFORE ACCUMULATING SNOW AND ICE COME TO AN END ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION. STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE NO. OF A LINE FROM TIFTON TO BLAKELY TO DEFUNIAK SPRINGS. ELSEWHERE THE CHANCE FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL BE LWR.THOUGH A TRACE OF SLEET OR SNOW IS POSSIBLE AS FAR SO. AS TALLAHASSEE. THE COMBINATION OF ICE ACCRETION & SLEET & SNOW ACCUMULATION WILL LIKELY CONTINUE TO CAUSE SIGNIFICANT DISRUPTIONS TO TRAVEL ACROSS THE REGION.