Today, the National Labor Day DUI Campaign begins and will run thru Monday, September 2. The Walton County Sheriff’s Office will be aggressively looking for drunk drivers during the crackdown and will arrest anyone caught driving drunk. In previous years, statistics have shown about one third of all motor vehicle traffic deaths involve one or more drunk drivers or motorcycle operators. 9,878 people died in crashes involving drunk drivers in 2011 which works out to approximately one drunk driving fatality every 53 minutes.
Labor Day is a great chance to celebrate the end of summer with family and friends. However, the Walton County Sheriff’s Office asks residents and visitors to play it safe with these recommendations:
- If you are planning to drink alcohol with friends, designate a sober driver before going out and give that person your keys.
- If you are impaired, DO NOT DRIVE! Call a taxi, a sober friend or family member to get you home safely.
- Promptly report impaired drivers you see on the roadways to the Sheriff’s Office at 1.850.892.8111
- Wear your seat belt while in a car and/or use a helmet and protective gear when on a motorcycle, as these are your best defenses against impaired drivers.
- And remember, if you know people who are about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them get to where they are going safely.
For more information, visit the “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” Campaign Headquarters at www.TrafficSafetyMarketing.gov.